Tuesday, August 6, 2013

bully. Update

This update is looong over due and for that apologize.  Emotionally, I haven't been able to process it all and then life just got busy with summer.  So here's an update from the bullying incident at school.

  • At Nick's request, his peanut-free table was moved further away from the other tables and closest to the cafeteria monitor's desk.
  • The incident was treated as a life-threatening incident.  The child was given a day of in-school suspension. Code of conduct calls for 3 days of out-of-school suspension, but given the age and that if the child was home they would likely be watching tv, a day staring at walls seemed more appropriate. 
  • Nick's 504 plan was adapted so he could carry and self-administer his epi-pen and asthma medicine.  Everyone was very accommodating and let me decide what would be best. The pediatrician doesn't usually write self-carry scripts (NY is the only state that doesn't have a self-carry law for epinephrine) for 8 year olds, but felt he was mature enough to handle this.  
  • This is the coolest thing of all (of course, I'm probably completely biased). Watch this video.....




 Ironically, this video came out near the time of the incident.  The first time I saw it, I cried.  Ok... I cry every time I watch. The little boy gets me every.time. Could this hit any closer to home? I showed this to Nick and asked him what he thought.  His response,'That's exactly how I feel.'  <insert silent manic here>  Oh my.... he doesn't feel safe at school.  I let him lead the way by prompting him with questions.  Here's what he told me... 'Mom, kids don't get that peanuts are like a loaded gun to me.  They can kill me. (by the way, this is not the cool part of it) I think my friends should see this.'  
 From that statement, we made an action plan and presented it to the principal.  In June, Nick showed 75 of his classmates (his grade level) the video and answered questions for 20 minutes. I can't tell you how proud I am of him.  In those 20 minutes, his confidence grew and his friend's gained a greater appreciation of his allergy.  I was amazed at how insightful and thoughtful 8 year olds are. Nick has asked to talk to the WHOLE school during their anti-bullying assembly at the beginning of the year.   

So... we start school in 4 weeks.  I'm on heightened alert all the time, especially since the death of 13 year old last week after she took one bite from a rice krispie treat.  We've met with the new teacher.  I've been more assertive with my requests about a peanut free classroom and reminders being sent home with holiday party information.  I've signed up for webinars about food allergies and bullying.  I'm on a small mission (as much as time allows) to find out why NY doesn't have a self carry law. And Nick... well, he's pretty resilient.  He just keeps leading the life of an 8 year old boy.  

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if ever read my blog. We think Kyle is allergic to peanuts. He had a reaction to peanut butter. This makes me sad and mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I wish we lived closer. I have questions. :) I guess I will have to wait until we go to the allergy center for testing. Just one question for now. Can they tell you if it is life threatening?

      Delete
  2. The bullying makes me so sad. I am glad your school handled it as a life threatening event. Your son sounds like a champ! So mature and understanding. You are definitely teaching him to be his own advocate - which is awesome. Praying that the beginning of this new school year is great for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this PSA! Glad it is out there! Sorry you are living through this. Missy- all peanut allergies can be life threatening, there is no way to tell by any test. (Although some docs claim that they can tell severity of allergy by the response to testing, this isn't always true. Someone with a minor reaction to skin test (or low levels of IgE) can still have a severe life-threatening reaction. The only true way to test allergy is by oral challenge- so you are doing the right thing by avoiding it!
    I'm glad your school took this seriously, and I'm very proud of anyone who can stand up for themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how courageous and brave is Nick to be such a strong advocate for himself and others with similar allergies! He must have one amazing role model leading the way!!!

    I am happy to hear the school supported you and especially Nick with regards to the bully incident. I am sure heading back in Sep. always brings on new anxieties and challenges... thinking of you both! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete