Friday, January 4, 2013

6 months... and counting

Finally! The eye update from December. I have lots of excuses why I didn't update earlier, but none of them are new to anyone who is human this time of year.  So not only will you get this update, there may be lots of posts during the next month :)

So... Mallory had her doctor appointment December 17th.  It's been 6 months since we started this EYE journey! All went well and that is it... Ha!... As if.  My fellow iMoms know that this isn't true.

Really, though, everything went as expected.  Everything is looking good for Mallory.  Her eyesight in her left   eye is a solid 20/30.  We were really hoping for 20/25 so we could reduce, possibly eliminate patch time, but it was wishful thinking.  We have graduated to letters instead of pictures for her exam.  I know she is 4 and for the most part, she knows all her letters, but, honestly, I didn't want to make the eye exam more of challenge so we stuck with the pictures.  Miss Smarty Pants (aka Bossy Pants) did well.  She hasn't quite graduated to sitting in the chair by herself, but she is more confident when we go in and doesn't argue when asked to do different things.  Progress!  It didn't even cost me a trip to Build-A-Bear.
This is what 'perceived control'  looks like
Here's our plan for now... Continue with patching four hours a day and follow up at the end of February.  Completely manageable.  We ordered more patches (camo ones included, just for our camopatchkids Sundays) and more reward charts.  She picks them out along with the prize when the chart is completed (50 patches).  I currently own half of the Build-A-Bear workshop (and half a liquor store. Mommy needs rewards too). I prefer to call this positive reinforcement instead of bribe. We have had fewer days of tears and fights during the past 2 months. Like everything else, some days are better than others.  What I have learned with a 4 year old and patching- As long as she perceives she has control over the patch and the time she wears the patch, then all is well.
One of our camopatchkids Sundays

And finally, we received our bombshell.  The Doctor is leaving (yep, the same doctor as Easton's).  Our next appointment will be our last with her.  Everything Amanda felt/feels, I am feeling the same.  Six months, two years.. I don't think it matters with this PO.  She has the ability to make a connection with her patients. I think Mallory is taking this harder than I am.  She thinks we can go to Florida to see her (and Mickey and the Princesses) because of course the Doctor said to come visit her.  And, of course, she only likes to see
'girl doctors'.  Every appointment she takes in a 'portfolio' of her last artwork.  For Christmas,  she wanted to give her a screwdriver and tape (who knows why those two things). We opted for a more practical gift (caffeine).  I will be forever grateful for her quick approach with Mallory's eye.  Florida will be gaining a truly gifted PO.

So, here's to 2013.  Changes, challenges and choices!

6 comments:

  1. Hurray for a great appointment and Boo to the PO leaving. I can't imagine. I am praying that you and Amanda both gain a fabulous new PO. You are giving me a glimpse into the future of patching as Julia gets older. and it is definitely positive reinforcement. I teach special ed and we use positive reinforcement all the time - we definitely do not bribe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely appreciate the prayers. Looks like we may need them :( I'm fortunate that Mallory responds well to rewards... My middle child does not.... It has made patching manageable. I hope Julia is the same and likes prizes!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the update, so glad 6 months in and this journey is already feeling manageable for you, bravo! I agree with Laura, I appreciate your sharing Mallory's experience... Patching at age 4 is a whole new ball game than patching at 2. Honestly not sure if either is better than the other... just different. I will be sure to have lots of choices and lots of "rewards" when we get there! :)

    On a sad note, our last apt. is Feb. 25th. :( I don't even know what to say that will help. The other PO is just not her, qualified... yes, like her... not at all. We have already been seeing him for E's glaucoma. He has already mentioned to me that he does not intend on keeping E's case... once they find a replacement for her, we will see the "new" PO for managing his vision and patching. He really only wants the glaucoma cases. That kinda worries me but maybe it's a good thing, only time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that patching at 4 has different challenges than patching at 2. We don't go through more than 1 patch a day, but we have to worry about peer attitudes and social interactions. People can be very inconsiderate sometimes. Honestly, just because one eyes is patched doesn't mean she can't hear... Grr.
      Hey... Our last appointment is on the 25th at 10. What time is yours? I'm so nervous about getting a new PO. I think I'm going to have amp up my rewards so Mallory accepts
      the new PO. At 4, she knows who/what she likes. One more journey
      we can travel together, my friend.

      Delete
    2. We have an 8:30 apt. I will be sure to be looking for you when we leave!? I might need a hug, ha. How fun would it be to have the same time apt and then then go for coffee after, if only... sigh.

      I'm sorry Mallory has to deal with rude people. Just today E said hi to a man in the grocery store and the first thing out of his mouth was... Hi there, what's wrong with your eye? Ugh, E understood the man but didn't know what to say, after my punch to the gut... I chimed in, fake smile and all. "tell him your making your eye stronger Buddy!" And he did, my heart just breaks in those situations... still.

      Delete
  3. Patches don't affect hearing or their little brains, and people are just not smart enough to keep their mouth shut. "What is wrong with him?", they ask, I want to ask them "What is wrong with you?"

    ReplyDelete