Saturday, May 25, 2013

EYEceptional

It's an EYE update post :)

Mallory had another follow up eye appointment on Wednesday.  Jitters always accompany these appointments.  Like my fellow imoms have said, the worry starts about a week ahead and doesn't stop until we get done with the appointment and schedule the next appointment.  This time the worry wasn't completely focused on the eye. It was our first appointment with a new PO.  Yikes!  Mallory doesn't adjust well to change.   She was just starting to sit in the chair by herself when our amazing PO took another job.  (It might have had something to do with the oodles of money I spent at Build-A-Bear the last year positively reinforcing (aka bribing) good behavior at her appointments... or not).   Our new PO was good, different approach, different manner, but good.  He was concise and a no nonsense kind of guy. I could have guessed that when we were at the office for only 30 minutes.... No joke!
Here's what he told us:
  • Mallory's eye is doing exceptionally well, better than he we would have predicted based on the notes in her chart.
  • Pressures are good.  
  • We can start spacing her appointments out more.  We don't have to return for 4 months! (that makes a little nervous. I like the reassurance)
  • Continue to patch. He suggested 3 hours.  Mallory looked at him and said, 'How 'bout zero hours?' (Nice impression we gave the doctor.)  He told me it was up to me if I wanted to increase the time as we currently do 2 hours.  His minimum is 3 hours and if it were his child he would patch 3 hours. So.... really, it's not my decision.  How can I hear THAT and not have her patch 3 hours???
  • Next appointment is with a new PO, the replacement for our old PO. He specializes in children under 1 with cataracts and glaucoma.  
And we celebrated a Birthday!

And despite her shenanigans, Mallory was pretty good at the appointment too!  It didn't even cost me a trip to Build-A-Bear, just a new pair of glasses..Ha!  

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear the appointment went well! I LOVE Mallory's sense of humor... How bout ZERO hours?!!! Can't blame her for trying. :) Interested in the new, next PO apt. E's case has not been "handed off" yet... YAY for 4 months, but I totally get the anxiety. Hang in there epi-imom you BOTH are doing EYEceptional! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great appointment! What a smarty you have there - "zero hours." And I don't call it bribing, I call it rewarding and it is totally worth it. Keep up the good work Mallory and epi-imom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW AM I JUST NOW FOLLOWING YOUR BLOG???

    Well, now I am here to stay, so get used to some comments!

    Exceptional vision! Woo hoo!

    3 hours of patching it is...

    ReplyDelete